Beef and Mustard Greens Wrapped in Rice Paper
Mustard leaves, thin slices of cooked beef, basil and mint are wrapped in rice paper and served with a dipping sauce. Inspired by a dish we enjoyed at Wrap&Roll in Saigon.
For the mixed fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons calamansi juice or lime or lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 6 pinches chopped garlic
- 6 pinches chopped chilies
- Rinse the beef then pat dry.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pot.
- Brown the beef in the hot oil, turning it around every few minutes to brown every inch of the surface.
- Pour in enough water to reach halfway up the height of the beef. Sprinkle in about a tablespoon of salt and two to three pinches of pepper.
- Simmer the beef until tender, about two to two-and-a-half hours. Add more water, no more than half a cup at a time, if the liquid dries up before the meat is done.
- Scoop out the beef, transfer to a rack, cover loosely with foil and allow to cool slowly.
- Rinse the vegetables and herbs and pass through a salad spinner.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- When the beef is cool, thinly slice.
- Place the sliced beef in a mixing bowl and drizzle in half of the sauce. Toss well.
- Stir in three tablespoons of water to the remaining sauce and set aside. That’s for dipping later.
- To assemble the rolls, take a piece of rice paper, lay it flat and dab with water.
- Place two to three mustard greens near one end of the rice paper.
- Arrange beef slices on top of the mustard greens, and top with basil, mint and cilantro.
- Roll up the rice paper to enfold the filling. As you reach the other end of the rice paper, dab more water on it to make sure that the rolls don’t burst open.
- Repeat until all the filling has been wrapped.
- Cut each roll in half horizontally, arrange on a plate with the dipping sauce on the side.
5 Asian Cooking SecretsSign up to begin your Asian food adventure!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.