Vietnamese-style Papaya and Mango SaladRecipe by
Semi-ripe papaya, cucumber, mango, lettuce, toasted cashew nuts and sesame seeds are tossed with a light dressing to make Vietnamese-style papaya and mango salad. It's inspired by one of the dishes we made in the farm-to-table cooking class in Vietnam. When we were prepping the salad in class, our instructor reminded us that there's nothing strict about the mix of ingredients. We could substitute green mangoes for the papaya, for instance, or add other vegetables. This is the result of those reminders.
For the dressing
For the salad
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (peanuts are more traditional but I used cashew)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ semi-ripe papaya
- 1 cucumber
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 handful lettuce
Make the dressing
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jar with a screw-on cap. Put on the cap and tighten. Shake the contents gently until the sugar is fully dissolved. Sat aside to infuse.
Toast the nuts and sesame seeds
- Heat a frying pan. Spread the cashew nuts and toast, tossing the pan occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Add the sesame seeds to the nuts and continue toasting until both nuts and sesame seeds are nicely browned. Set aside to cool.
Prep the fruits and veggies
- Peel the papaya. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Thinly slice the papaya flesh then cut the thin slices into strips no more than a quarter of an inch wide.
- Split the cucumber into halves. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Cut in the same way you cut the papaya.
- Cut the mango and discard the stone. Score both “cheeks” thinly then separate the strips by scooping our shallowly with a spoon.
- Rinse the lettuce. Dry in a salad spinner. Cut the leaves into half-inch slices.
Assemble the salad
- Place the papaya, cucumber, mango, lettuce and half of the nuts and sesame seeds in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle in half of the dressing and toss lightly but thoroughly.
- Taste. Add the rest of the dressing, if you prefer.
- Divide the salad among four bowls or plates. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.