Shelled and deveined shrimps are mixed with cilantro and seasoned, enveloped in spring rolls wrappers, fried and served with Vietnamese dipping sauce.
Yes, the first dish we cooked at the cooking school in Vietnam, we already cooked at home less than 24 hours after flying back from Saigon. Well, Alex did the cooking; I did the photographing.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t get all the herbs that traditionally go with Vietnamese shrimp spring rolls. We had to content ourselves with mustard leaves, lettuce, basil and mint.
Not so complicated, right? Here’s the recipe including the recipe for the dipping sauce.
Vietnamese Shrimp Spring Rolls
For the dipping sauce
For the spring rolls
- mustard leaves
- lettuce leaves
- Thai basil
- mint leaves (we used spearmint)
Make the dipping sauce
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients until the sugar is fully dissolved. Stir in 4 tablespoons water. Set aside to infuse.
Make the spring rolls
- Shell and devein the shrimps; leave the tails on.
- Cut off the root ends of the cilantro and discard (you may use them for some other recipe but not for this one). Roughly chop the cilantro and add place in a mixing bowl with the cleaned shrimps.
- Add the calamansi juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic and chilies to the shrimps and cilantro. Mix thoroughly.
- Take a piece of spring wrapper and lay flat. Place a shrimp on top; allow the tail to protrude on one side. Top with a few sprigs of cilantro.
- Wet the edges of wrapper. Fold the edge nearest you over the filling. Fold in the side opposite the tail then roll until the filling is fully enclosed. Repeat with the rest of the filling and wrappers.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of about two inches.
- Fry the spring rolls, in batches if your frying pan is on the small side, until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Serve the shrimp spring rolls
- Arrange the fried shrimp spring rolls on one side of a serving platter. Pile on the mustard leaves, lettuce, Thai basil and mint on the other side.
- Serve the shrimp spring rolls and vegetables with the dipping sauce.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.