Tom Kha Pla (Thai Fish Coconut Cream Soup)
For the spice base
- 4 slices galangal, (rehydrated if using dried)
- ¼ cup sliced lemongrass, (lower portion of the stalk only)
- 2 pairs kaffir lime leaves, ribs removed
- 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 bird’s eye chili, (add another for more heat)
- 2 tablespoons coriander roots and stems
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, dissolved in a teaspoon of water to make a paste
To make the soup
- lime wedges
- Grind all the solid ingredients in the spice base list. Pour in the fish sauce and diluted coconut sugar slowly to make grinding easier. You don't need to make a paste. You just want to pound everything to small pieces.
- Heat the fish broth in a pot, stir in the spice base, tomato, tied lemongrass and fish sauce to taste. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Slowly pour in the coconut cream and stir. Taste and add more fish sauce, as needed.
- Bring to a gentle boil and allow to cook, uncovered, for five minutes.
- Stir in the fish slices and cook for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth, add more fish sauce, if needed, before stirring in the lime juice.
- Serve your tom kha pla garnished with cilantro.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.