A simple dish that bursts with the flavors and aroma of ginger and garlic, this tofu and bok choy stir fry can be served as a side dish or a vegetarian main dish.
Three things make this dish a beautiful blend of flavors and textures. The first is the spice base of shallot, garlic and ginger. The second is the tofu which has to be deep fried until golden and crisp. The third is the way the bok choy is stir fried. The spice base is self-explanatory. But the second and third things deserve a little elaboration.
Press out excess water from the tofu
Tofu contains a lot of water which you need to press out before cutting the block and dropping the tofu pieces into the hot oil. To remove excess water, put the tofu between stacks of paper towels. Place a plate on top and leave for a few minutes to allow the paper towels to soak up the water.
Cook the bok choy stalks longer than the leaves
When you buy a bunch of bok choy, you get both stalks and leaves. The stalks take a bit longer to soften than the leaves which wilt in the hot wok within seconds.
The trick here is to cut the bok choy into lower and upper halves. The lower half — the stalk — goes into the wok first to give it a headstart. When it is partially cooked and has begun to soften, that’s when you add the leaves.
If you follow these steps, your tofu and bok choy stir fry will be superb. The dish will have tofu that’s rich in color and texture. You won’t get undercooked bok choy stalks nor overcooked bok choy leaves.
Tofu and Bok Choy Stir FryRecipe by
- Place the tofu between stacks of paper towels and weigh down with a plate to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice the shallot, peel and chop the garlic, and peel and slice the ginger.
- Rinse the bok choy well then cut into two-inch pieces, separating the stalks from the leaves.
- Cut the tofu into bite-size pieces.
- In a pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Deep fry the tofu until golden and crisp.
- Scoop out the tofu and dump into a strainer.
- Heat two tablespoons cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the shallot, garlic and ginger with salt and pepper for a minute or so.
- Turn up the heat and add the bok choy stalks. Stir fry for a minute or just until starting to soften.
- Add the bok choy leaves and the fried tofu, and stir fry for about thirty seconds.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the tofu and bok choy.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and clear.
- Taste your tofu and bok choy stir fry. Adjust the seasonings, if needed, and serve immediately.