Thai Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice
Sweet, salty, spicy with copious amounts of shrimps, vegetables and pineapple. Thai shrimp and pineapple fried rice is a stir fry. Use a heavy wok or frying pan and a cooking oil with a high smoking point. Keep the heat high throughout the cooking.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 10 to 12 large shrimps peeled, deveined then cut into small pieces
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 finger chili thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh pineapple roughly chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon Thai tamarind paste (available in the Asian aisle of groceries)
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (Thai sweet soy sauce; available in the Asian aisle of groceries)
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashew nuts
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Spread the shrimps on the hot oil. Stir after ten seconds.
- Add the shallots, garlic, scallions, chili, carrot and peas to the shrimp. Stir fry for a minute.
- Drizzle in a little fish sauce. Toss.
- Add the pineapple pieces and toss until heated through.
- Spread the rice over everything in the wok.
- Spread the tamarind paste and kecap manis over the rice.
- Stir fry just until the rice is heated through.
- Toss in the nuts before serving.
5 Asian Cooking SecretsSign up to begin your Asian food adventure!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.