Thai Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 10 to 12 large shrimps peeled, deveined then cut into small pieces
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 finger chili thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh pineapple roughly chopped
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon Thai tamarind paste (available in the Asian aisle of groceries)
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis (Thai sweet soy sauce; available in the Asian aisle of groceries)
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashew nuts
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Spread the shrimps on the hot oil. Stir after ten seconds.
- Add the shallots, garlic, scallions, chili, carrot and peas to the shrimp. Stir fry for a minute.
- Drizzle in a little fish sauce. Toss.
- Add the pineapple pieces and toss until heated through.
- Spread the rice over everything in the wok.
- Spread the tamarind paste and kecap manis over the rice.
- Stir fry just until the rice is heated through.
- Toss in the nuts before serving.