Taiwanese Pork Sausage Buns
For the pickled cabbage
- 1 small head white cabbage
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
To complete the mini sandwiches
- 9 small manthou or 6 medium-sized ones
- 3 Taiwanese sausages depending on their size, you may need more than three sausages
- 2 peanuts cakes crushed, or 3 tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts tossed with 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- thinly sliced scallions
Make the pickled cabbage
- Thinly slice the cabbage. Rinse and drain.
- Place the cabbage in a pot. Add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Uncovered over medium-low heat, cook the cabbage, stirring occasionally, until softened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Cool.
Prepare the manthou and sausages
- While the cabbage cooks, place the manthou in a steamer basket and steam until hot and fluffy. Turn the heat off but keep the steamer covered to keep the manthou hot.
- Cut the sausages into pieces the same size as the manthou. Grill until heated through and shiny with their own fat.
Assemble the sausage buns
- Split each manthou without cutting all the way through.
- Stuff each split manthou with drained pickled cabbage, top with a piece of sausage then sprinkle the crushed peanut cake (or sweetened peanut, if you're substituting) and scallions on top.
- Serve the Taiwanese pork sausage buns immediately.