Sweet and Spicy Spring Rolls
Modified Vietnamese mixed fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 200 grams ground pork
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 finger chilies, (mildly hot chilies work best), thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 slices fresh pineapple cut into half-inch cubes to measure one cup
- 1 bunch kangkong (swamp / water spinach), cut into half-inch pieces, thick stalks and leaves separated
To make the spring rolls
- 8 to 10 sheets rice paper
- 1 small handful cilantro
- Stir together all the ingredients for the sauce until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Over high heat, add the pork, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, until the pork is no longer pink.
- Add the chilies and cook, stirring, for a minute.
- Pour in the Vietnamese mixed fish sauce. Stir. Allow to cook with occasional stirring until almost dry.
- Add the pineapple cubes. Stir.
- Add the thick stalks of the kangkong. Stir. Cook for a minute.
- Add the thinner stalks and leaves of the kangkong. Stir. Cook for another minute. Taste. Adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl and cool completely (see notes after the recipe).
- Moisten a sheet of rice paper in a shallow bowl of water until softened then lay flat on your work surface.
- Place a heaping tablespoonful or two (depending on the size of your rice paper) at the middle, top with some torn cilantro and wrap.
- Repeat until all the rice paper had been filled, or until you run of out filling, whichever happens first.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.