Sichuan Stir Fried Potatoes
- 3 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 red chilies (plus more for garnish) sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons black vinegar (see notes after the recipe)
- sliced scallions to garnish
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Peel the potatoes and julienne.
- Dump the julienned potatoes in a bowl and cover with water. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the potatoes to expel starch. Drain well.
- Heat the cooking oils in a wok or frying pan.
- Before the oil starts to smoke, fry the Sichuan peppercorns and chilies.
- When the oil is smoking, add the garlic and chilies. Stir fry for about half a minute. Make sure to keep the contents of the wok or frying pan moving to avoid burning the garlic.
- Pour in the soy sauce and stir in the sugar.
- Pour in two tablespoons water. Stir.
- Add the potatoes and stir fry until the potatoes are coated with oil and sauce.
- Cover the wok or frying pan tightly for half a minute without turning down the heat.
- Uncover the wok or frying pan, drizzle in the black vingear and stir the potatoes thoroughly.
- Tip the contents of the wok into a serving plate.
- Garnish the Sichuan stir fried potatoes with sliced chilies, scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.