Shrimp Paste Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably day-old so that the grains have dried out
- pepper, to taste
- thinly sliced scallions, as much or as little as you like
- salt, (optional)
- 1 generous pinch sugar, (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice, or lemon juice (see notes after the recipe)
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the shallots until softened. Add the garlic and saute until aromatic. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the shrimp paste. Continue sauteeing for another minute or until the solids begin to separate from the oil.
- Add the rice, sprinkle in some black pepper, and turn up the heat. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Off the heat, add the sliced scallions and give the fried rice a few tosses to blend in the greens.
- Taste the fried rice. Add salt is the shrimp paste does not impart sufficient saltiness.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.