Shrimp and Watermelon Salad with Vietnamese Mixed Fish Sauce
- 20 medium shrimps peeled and deveined
- 6 cups seedless watermelon cubes
- 1 cup mandarin orange segments (available in jars and cans)
- 4 generous handfuls mung bean sprouts rinsed and drained well
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce torn into bite-zise pieces, rinsed and passed through the salad spinner
- 1 cup cubed feta
For the dressing
- ¼ cup mixed fish sauce
Cook the shrimps
- In a frying pan, boil enough water to reach a depth of one inch. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the shrimps in the boiling water and cook for two to two and a half minutes per side.
- Scoop out the shrimps and dry on a bed of paper towels. Cool.
Toss the fruits and vegetables
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the watermelon cubes, mandarin orange segments, bean sprouts, lettuce and feta.
- Add the shrimps. Toss to distribute.
- Drizzle in the mixed fish sauce and toss a few more times.
- It is imperative that you serve the salad immediately. The watermelon will start expelling its juice the moment it gets in content with the citrus juice in the dressing. So, serve at once.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
P. S. My family and I are flying to Japan in a few hours and the next travel story or food tale will be written from there. When exactly that will be, I have no idea. Probably at a time when we’re not too busy eating and food shopping.
Have a great weekend!