Shrimp and Spinach Spring Rolls
Chopped fresh shrimps and blanched spinach are mixed with cream cheese to make the filling for this fried shrimp and spinach spring rolls. Glorious Asian fusion cooking!
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water with a tablespoon of salt for three minutes, and drain.
- Dump the drained spinach in iced water and allow to cool.
- Squeeze the spinach to remove as much water as possible.
- Chop the spinach finely.
- Roughly chop the shrimps.
- Finely slice the chili
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped spinach, shrimps, cream cheese, ¾ teaspoon salt, pepper and chili.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper flat.
- Spread a heaping tablespoonful of the filling across the middle of the spring roll.
- Lift a corner of the wrapper to cover the filling, roll once, then tuck in the left and right corners.
- Moisten the unwrapped portion of the wrapper with egg wash then continue rolling to seal the filling.
- Repeat until all the wrappers have been filled or until you run out of filling.
- Sprinkle the uncooked spring rolls with corn starch.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a a frying pan to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Fry the shrimp and spinach spring rolls in batches, rolling them around in hot oil, until the wrappers are golden and crisp.
- Cut each spring roll into two and serve immediately.
If using larger spring roll wrappers, just cut them in half. The filling of these spring rolls is so tasty that dipping sauce would really be overkill. If you want more nuance though, serve the shrimp and spinach spring rolls with lime or lemon wedges. Squeeze the juice directly into the filling before taking a bite.