For the marinated fish
For the sushi rice
- ¾ cup Japanese rice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
For the cooked toppings
For the raw toppings
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber
For the sauce
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
Marinate the fish
- Place the cubed fish in a bowl. Add the soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger and sesame seed oil. Toss well. Cover the bowl and keep in the fridge.
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in the rice cooker. Pour in a cup and a half of water and cook.
- Spread the rice in a shallow bowl. Drizzle in the rice vinegar and toss well. Leave to cool.
Toast the sesame seeds; cook the eggs, eggplants and mushrooms
- While the rice cools, place a frying pan over medium heat. Spread the sesame seeds and cook, tossing often, until browned and glistening. Scoop out and set aside to cool.
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame seed oil in the same frying pan. Pour in the beaten eggs, sprinkle with a little salt and cook just until set. Roll up and cool. Cut into half-inch slices.
- Heat another tablespoon of sesame seed oil in the frying pan. Spread the sliced shiitake in the hot oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Cook for a minute, flip the slices over and cook for another minute. Scoop out and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of sesame seed oil. Spread the eggplant slices in the hot oil. Cook for a minute and a half, flip over and cook for another minute. Scoop out and set aside.
Prepare the mango and cucumber
- Cut both sides of the mango to get the flesh; discard the stone. Cut the mango flesh into half-inch cubes.
- Cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
Make the sauce
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce until the sugar is dissolved.
Assemble the poke bowls
- Prepare four bowls. Place rice at the bottom of each bowl.
- Divide the marinated fish into four portions and place a portion on top of the rice in each bowl.
- Surround the fish with egg, shiitake, eggplant, mango, lettuce and cucumber.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of sauce over the contents of the bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds (and, optionally, with cilantro).
- Serve the poke bowls at once with the remaining sauce on the side.
What is poke bowl?Poke is a dish that consists of marinated raw fish served with condiments. The term originated in Hawaii but the flavors of the dish are heavily influenced by Japanese cuisine. When poke became popular in mainland U.S. and, eventually, outside America, the humble snack of fishermen evolved into a filling dish with rice at the base, the marinated fish on top surrounded by vegetables (which may be pickled or fresh), fruit (like mango or avocado) and egg. Once assembled, sauce is drizzled over everything.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.