- 5 cups dashi
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sake
- 4 stalks scallions cut into two-inch lengths
- 1 radish peeled and cubed
- 8 shiitake mushrooms stems discarded and caps cut into halves or quarters
- 500 grams assorted fish balls (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 sheets fish cakes (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 pieces fried tofu (see notes after the recipe)
- In a thick-bottomed pan (see notes after the recipe), heat the dashi with the soy sauce, mirin and sake.
- When the dashi starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
- Drop in the scallions, radish, shiitake and fish balls. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish cakes and fried tofu. Simmer uncovered for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth. Add salt, if needed, and simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve the oden in bowls.