- 5 cups dashi
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sake
- 4 stalks scallions, cut into two-inch lengths
- 1 radish, peeled and cubed
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps cut into halves or quarters
- 500 grams assorted fish balls, (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 sheets fish cakes, (see notes after the recipe)
- 4 pieces fried tofu, (see notes after the recipe)
- In a thick-bottomed pan (see notes after the recipe), heat the dashi with the soy sauce, mirin and sake.
- When the dashi starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for five minutes.
- Drop in the scallions, radish, shiitake and fish balls. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish cakes and fried tofu. Simmer uncovered for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth. Add salt, if needed, and simmer for another five minutes.
- Serve the oden in bowls.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.