Mushrooms and Tofu With Lemongrass Chili Sauce
For the lemongrass chili sauce
To cook the dish
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
Make the sauce
- In a small sauce pan, stir all the ingredients together with a quarter cup of water.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for ten minutes until reduced by about a third. The sauce will thicken a bit more as it cools.
- Leave it to infuse while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. If you have the time, you may cook the sauce a day ahead and let it infuse at room temperature overnight.
Cook the tofu
- Cut the tofu into one-inch cubes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the tofu in the hot oil until golden and crisp. Flip them around during frying for even browning.
- Scoop out the tofu and set aside.
Complete the dish
- Pour off the oil from the frying pan leaving only about two tablespoonfuls. Reheat the oil.
- Over medium heat, cook the quartered mushrooms with the sliced onion in the hot oil with a little salt and pepper for about two minutes.
- Add the tofu back to the pan. Stir.
- Take about a quarter cup of the sauce, pour over the tofu and mushrooms and cook, tossing, for about half a minute to heat the tofu cubes through.
- Spoon the mushrooms and tofu with lemongrass chili sauce into small bowls.
- Drizzle any remaining sauce in the pan directly over the mushrooms and tofu.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions before serving.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.