Sweet, spicy and tangy with a lovely citrusy aroma. Serve this delicious meat, vegetable and noodle dish in a small bowl as a snack, or fill a larger bowl to make it a one-dish meal for lunch or dinner.
When I am smitten by a newly-concocted sauce, I use it more than once to season a dish. When I made lemongrass chili sauce for my sweet spicy mushrooms and tofu, I stored what I didn’t need and, a few days later, used it for this lemongrass chili beef noodles.
This dish is ready in under 20 minutes, including the preparation time. For advanced cooks, make that 15 minutes or even less. That is assuming, of course, that the lemongrass chili sauce (link to recipe in the ingredients list) had been cooked ahead and is ready to use.
Lemongrass Chili Beef NoodlesRecipe by
- Cut the beef into strips about half an inch wide.
- Place the beef strips in a bowl. Pour in the lemongrass chili sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
- Boil a pot of water.
- Dump the spinach into the boiling water and push down to submerge. Leave for a minute.
- Scoop out the spinach and drain.
- Rinse under the tap to cool, or dump in a bowl of icy water, drain once more then squeeze to remove excess water.
- Roughly chop the spinach.
- Allow the water to boil once more. Dump in the noodles. Allow to sit for a minute.
- Drain the noodles well and transfer to a bowl. While hot, pour in the soy sauce and toss.
- Heat the sesame seed oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the shallots and garlic for about half a minute.
- Throw in the bell pepper. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper. Stir fry for another half a minute.
- Add the marinated beef to the wok, stir fry for about two minutes.
- Stir in the chopped spinach.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add the marinated noodles to the beef and vegetables. Stir fry just until heated through, about a minute.
- Serve the lemongrass chili beef noodles at once.