Korean Oxtail Soup (Sokkoritang)
Tender oxtail meat with gelatinous tendon and radish in a rich bone broth.How long does it take to make Korean oxtail soup? Not long if the oxtail is already tender. I cooked the oxtail overnight in the slow cooker. Well, 95% cooked anyway.
- Slow Cooker
For the broth
To complete the soup
For the chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- Rinse the oxtail well. Place in a pot. Cover with water. Boil for 10 minutes, drain, discard the water and rinse the oxtail again to remove impurities.
- Place the cleaned oxtail in the slow cooker. Add the garlic, scallions, salt and peppercorns. Set the cooker to low and cook the oxtail for eight hours.
- Scoop out the oxtail and transfer to a container.
- Strain the bone broth into another container.
- Chill the oxtail and broth in the fridge overnight or up to a day.
- Scrape off the layer of fat that forms on the surface of the broth and discard.
- Pour the broth into a pot. Add the oxtail and radish. Simmer until the oxtail meat is tender and the radish is soft.
- While the oxtail and radish simmer, make the chili sauce by stirring together all the ingredients.
- When the oxtail and radish are done, add the scallions.
- Stir in the prepared chili sauce, a tablespoon at a time, until you get the flavor balance that you like.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, serve with the remaining chili sauce on the side, and enjoy!