Omurice is a Japanese rice-and-egg dish that fuses local cuisine with the Westerner's love for ketchup. This version adds a Korean touch by cooking kimchi fried rice, wrapping it in an omelette and slathering the dish with ketchup before serving.
Kimchi fried rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 150 grams thinly sliced pork
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 3 cups cooked rice preferably day-old
- ½ kimchi finely sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions divided
- ¼ cup kimchi juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon guchujang (Korean chili paste)
For the omelettes
Make the kimchi fried rice
- Heat the sesame seed oil and saute the chopped onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the pork and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in the soy sauce and mirin. Continue cooking the pork, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and the meat has soaked up the liquid.
- Spread the rice in the pan. Add the kimchi, half of the scallions, kimchi juice, a teaspoon of salt and the gochujang. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Taste the fried rice. Adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Divide the kimchi fried rice into four portions.
- Mold each portion with a bowl and invert on a plate.
Make the omurice
- In a clean frying pan, heat a tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Beat two eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and one teaspoon pepper.
- Pour into the hot oil. Swirl the pan to allow the eggs to spread.
- When the omelette is set, scoop out with a spatula and lay on top of the molded rice. Optionally, tuck in the edges.
- Repeat with the rest of the eggs and kimchi fried rice.
- Drizzle ketchup generously over the omurice and sprinkle with the remaining scallions before serving.
For more about the origin of omurice, see “Is omurice Japanese or Korean?“.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Looking for Filipino food?Check out CASA Veneracion’s Modern Filipino recipes!