Kimchi fried rice
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 150 grams thinly sliced pork
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 3 cups cooked rice preferably day-old
- ½ kimchi finely sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions divided
- ¼ cup kimchi juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon guchujang (Korean chili paste)
For the omelettes
Make the kimchi fried rice
- Heat the sesame seed oil and saute the chopped onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the pork and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in the soy sauce and mirin. Continue cooking the pork, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and the meat has soaked up the liquid.
- Spread the rice in the pan. Add the kimchi, half of the scallions, kimchi juice, a teaspoon of salt and the gochujang. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Taste the fried rice. Adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Divide the kimchi fried rice into four portions.
- Mold each portion with a bowl and invert on a plate.
Make the omurice
- In a clean frying pan, heat a tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Beat two eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and one teaspoon pepper.
- Pour into the hot oil. Swirl the pan to allow the eggs to spread.
- When the omelette is set, scoop out with a spatula and lay on top of the molded rice. Optionally, tuck in the edges.
- Repeat with the rest of the eggs and kimchi fried rice.
- Drizzle ketchup generously over the omurice and sprinkle with the remaining scallions before serving.