Make kani salad with kani (imitation crab meat), cucumber, carrot, fresh ripe mangoes, lettuce, Japanese mayonnaise and a little sesame seed oil. It’s outstanding!
But you know what the curious part is? Authentic traditional Japanese kani salad is a far simpler dish. All-in kani salads, like mine, are more fusion than anything else.
Kani SaladRecipe by
- Remove the plastic film wrapper of the kani and discard.
- Press each kani from tip to tip between your fingers. Pull apart to shred.
- Thinly slice carrot, and julienne (cut into matchsticks).
- Do the same with the cucumber
- Cut the mango; discard the stone.
- Slash diagonally, the slashes about a quarter inch apart, all the way but without cutting through the skin.
- Using a spoon, scoop out shallowly to come up with thin strips.
- Rinse the lettuce and dry in a salad spinner. Cut the leaves horizontally into half-inch slices.
- Place the shredded kani, julienned carrot and cucumber, sliced mango and lettuce in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle in the sesame seed oil.
- Toss to distribute the ingredients evenly. Use your hands to toss to avoid bruising the ingredients.
- Add the Japanese mayo. Toss the kani salad once more to moisten everything evenly.