Kabayaki-style Eggplant Braised in Teriyaki Sauce
- Cut off and discard the tops and bottoms of the eggplants. Peel the eggplants.
- Place the peeled eggplants in a microwaveable bowl and cover with cling wrap. Microwave on HIGH for one minute (see notes after the recipe).
- Place the eggplants on a cutting board and cut each horizontally into halves.
- Butterfly the eggplants, kabayaki-style. Slit each eggplant half down on the middle but without cutting all the way through. Open up the eggplant and make a similar slit along the left and right portions.
- Butterfly the rest of the eggplant halves.
- Pour the soy sauce, mirin and sake (and sugar, if using) into a shallow pan. Set on the stove over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Arrange the butterflied eggplants in the pan in a single layer, cut side down.
- Cook the eggplants until softened but not mushy, and the sauce has been soaked up.
- Serve the kabayaki-style eggplant braised in teriyaki sauce over hot rice.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.