Japanese Fried Eggplants and Crispy Bonito Flakes with Dashi Sauce
- Pour the dashi, mirin and soy sauce into a small sauce pan.
- Stir in the ginger.
- Bring to the boil.
- Turn off the heat.
- Place the sauce pan in a bowl of iced water to cool. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. The oil should be at least two inches deep.
- While the oil heats up, cut the eggplants into rings about an inch thick.
- When the oil starts to smoke, dump in the eggplants and cook over high heat just until softened but not mushy. Tip: the frying time should take about two minutes or less.
- Scoop out the eggplants and spread on a shallow bowl. Pour the cooled sauce directly over them.
- Fry the bonito flakes in the hot oil for about 10 seconds.
- Scoop out the bonito flakes and spread over the eggplants.
- Serve immediately.