Japanese Egg Sandwich
For the sandwiches
- 6 slices soft white bread
- salted butter
Make the filling
- Place the eggs in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Strain the eggs and dump into a bowl of iced water. Leave to cool for five minutes.
- Shell the eggs and mash with the back of a fork. How chunky or smooth is up to you.
- Stir the mayonnaise into the eggs.
- Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper, stir and taste. Add more, as needed.
Assemble the sandwiches
- Spread butter on one side of all slices of bread.
- Divide the egg filling into three portions and spread on portion on a buttered slice of bread.
- Cover the egg filling with the remaining bread, buttered side touching the egg filling.
- Press down the sandwiches lightly to remove air pockets.
- Optionally, cut off and discard the edges of the bread, and cut the sandwiches into smaller pieces, before serving.