Vietnamese Egg Coffee
Brewed coffee topped with a frothy custard made by whipping together egg yolk and sweetened condensed milk.
- 2 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups freshly brewed coffee (make it a strong brew to balance with the richness of the custard)
- Place the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the yolks and milk until thickened. You can use a fork, a wire whisk or a hand mixer. What you use for beating isn't really important so long as you get bring the mixture to a state where it is thickened and, at the same time, frothy.
- Divide the hot brewed coffee between two mugs.
- Pour the yolk-milk mixture over the coffee. Don't worry if, right after pouring, the dark coffee and creamy custard appears to get mixed together. If you made the custard correctly, it will rise and float above the coffee in no time.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Looking for Filipino food?Check out CASA Veneracion’s Modern Filipino recipes!