Grilled Eggplant with Sesame-soy Dressing
- 2 large Asian eggplants
- 2 bell peppers any color but red ones make the salad so much more colorful
- 2 tablespoons palm oil
- 2 plump and juicy tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- Split the eggplants lengthwise. Score the cut sides.
- Toss the eggplants and bell peppers in oil.
- Grill the eggplants, about three minutes per side.
- Grill the bell peppers until the skins are charred (see notes after the recipe).
- While the eggplants and bell peppers cool, prepare the rest of the rest of the vegetables. Halve the tomatoes, scoop out the seeds and discard. Dice the tomatoes.
- Peel and roughly chop the red onion.
- Make the dressing by stirring together all the ingredients.
- When the eggplants are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop.
- Using a kitchen towel or a paper towel, wipe the bell peppers to remove the skins (or peel off if that’s more convenient for you).
- Cut the peeled bell peppers in half and scrape off the seeds. Dice the grilled bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, toss the eggplants, bell peppers, onion and tomatoes lightly but thoroughly.
- Drizzle in about three tablespoonfuls of the sesame-soy dressing and toss again.
- Serve the grilled eggplant and bell pepper salad with the remaining dressing on the side.
- Optionally, garnish the salad with chiffonaded Thai basil.