A meatless variant of the popular Chinese-American General Tso’s chicken, General Tso’s tofu is a great appetizer or meatless main course.
Silken tofu is used in this recipe but you may substitute firm or semi-firm tofu. Whichever kind you use, it is essential to press out excess moisture to allow the starch to stick to the surface rather than dissolve in liquid. During frying, it is the starch that gives better texture to the tofu.
Unlike its chicken ancestor where the chicken fillets are marinated, the tofu cubes are tossed in starch and fried without seasoning. To give the dish better flavor, you will need to add more salt. How much depends on whether the broth is unseasoned or not.
General Tso’s TofuRecipe by
- 1 block silken tofu (the standard size is about 300 grams)
- ¼ cup potato starch or corn starch
- cooking oil for frying
Fry the tofu
- Place the block of tofu between stacks of paper towels.
- Place a plate on top and leave for a few minutes to allow the tofu to expel excess water.
- Cut the tofu into two-inch cubes.
- Place the cubed tofu in a bowl, add the starch and toss gently to coat every inch of the surface.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a wok to reach a depth of at least an inch and a half (more is better).
- Fry the tofu cubes, turning them over for even frying, until a crispy crust forms on the surface.
- Scoop out the tofu and drain on a rack.
Cook the sauce
- In a clean wok or frying pan, stir together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Set the heat to medium and cook the sauce, stirring, until thickened and no longer cloudy.
- Set the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the sauce until reduced and thick enough for a canal to form when you drag a spatula across the bottom of the pan.
- Taste the sauce. Depending on whether the chicken broth is unseasoned or lightly seasoned, you may need to add salt to balance with the sweetness.
Assemble the dish
- Dump the fried tofu cubes into the sauce.
- Toss repeatedly until the tofu cubes have soaked up most of the sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro and toasted sesame seeds before serving.