Garam Masala Eggplants
Sliced eggplants are dipped in spiced batter and fried on both sides until a crispy crust forms on the surface. Serve garam masala eggplants as a side dish or a meatless main course.For the best experience, enjoy with yellow rice.
Garam masala batter
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
To cook the eggplants
- 2 large eggplants the kind with wide girth is best for this recipe
- cooking oil for frying
Cook the yellow rice
- Place the rice in the cooker and add the correct amount of water (see tips).
- Stir in the grated turmeric and salt.
- Tie the lemongrass and pandan leaves into knots, drop into the rice along with the galangal and kaffir lime leaf.
- Cook the rice until all the water has been absorbed.
- With a fork, fluff up the rice grains.
Prep the garam masala eggplants
- While the rice cooks, mix together all the ingredients for the batter. Add just enough water to form a batter just thick enough to stick to the eggplant slices.
- Cut the eggplants into rings between one-fourth and one-half inch.
Fry the garam masala eggplants
- In a frying pan, with the heat set to medium, pour in enough cooking oil to reach a depth of about a quarter inch.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the garam masala batter then lay in the hot oil until the batter on the underside is crisp. Flip to fry the opposite side (see notes after the recipe).
- Serve the garam masala eggplants with yellow rice.
Unlike wheat flour, rice flour is gluten-free and, therefore, makes a crispier crust. Make sure, however, that you use regular rice flour and NOT sticky rice flour. Do the frying in batches. How many slices per batch depends on the size of the eggplant rings and the size of the pan. Based on a recipe from Anto’s Kitchen.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
5 Asian Cooking SecretsSign up to begin your Asian food adventure!