Gamja Bokkeum: Korean Stir Fried Potatoes
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into fingers a la French fries
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, or any oil with a high smoke point
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded, cored and julienned
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons buldak sauce, or substitute 3 tablespoons soy sauce plus one tablespoon sugar
- Soak the cut potatoes in water with one tablespoon salt. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Add the potatoes to the hot oil. Cook, stirring, for about three minutes.
- Add the pepper strips. Stir fry until the edges of the potato strips start to turn light brown.
- Add the sliced onion and garlic. Stir fry for another minute.
- Pour in the sauce (and sugar if using plain soy sauce) and continue cooking until the potatoes are done but still crisp.
- Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.