Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) with Oyster Sauce
- Rinse the Chinese broccoli and dry with a kitchen towel (see notes after the recipe).
- Pour one tablespoon sesame seed oil in a frying pan and swirl to coat the entire bottom.
- Spread the Chinese broccoli in the pan.
- Over high heat, wilt the Chinese broccoli, flipping them over to coat every inch of the leaves and stalks with oil.
- Pour in half a cup of water and cover the pan.
- Cook the Chinese broccoli in the steam until the water has evaporated and the thickest portion of the stalks can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Move the Chinese broccoli to a plate.
- Heat the remaining sesame seed oil in the pan.
- Spread the garlic in the oil and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Stir in the oyster sauce, rice wine, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cook the sauce until reduced by half.
- Simmer the greens in the sauce, turning them around to distribute the sauce evenly.
- Using kitchen tongs, lift the vegetables and arrange on a plate.
- Spoon the sauce with all the garlic over the Chinese broccoli.
- Serve your Chinese broccoli (gai lan) with oyster suce immediately.