To serve the fish katsu
- rock salt
- lemon wedges
- shredded cabbage
- Japanese mayonnaise, mixed with wasabi
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels, cut into half-inch wide strips and toss lightly with a teaspoonful of salt.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the panko and aonori.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the egg in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge each fish strip in flour, dip in egg and coat with the panko-aonori mixture.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Fry the fish strips in batches until golden and crisp.
- Divide the fish katsu among four plates, and arrange shredded cabbage and lemon wedges on the side.
- Sprinkle the fish katsu with rock salt liberally and serve with wasabi mayo for dipping.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.