This isn’t the classic kimchi jiggae but more like the instant version of the real thing. The dish was born in April of 2020 when having groceries delivered was such a challenge that we didn’t want to be profligate with usable food items.
If you have extra seasoning and/or spice paste from a pack of instant ramen, use them to make this simple fish cakes and kimchi jiggae. Cook time? No more than 10 minutes.
Fish Cakes and Kimchi JiggaeRecipe by
The seasoning powder from a pack of chicken ramen was used here. You may use the seasoning powder from beef, pork or seafood ramen. Just note that the taste of the cooked fish cakes and kimchi jiggae will depend a lot on the kind of seasoning used.
- 1 packet instant ramen seasoning powder
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into two-inch cubes
- ½ cup kimchi cut up with the juices (measure after cutting)
- 2 fish cakes cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ packet chili paste from a pack of Korean instant noodles
- fish sauce to taste
- Boil three cups of water in a sauce pan.
- Stir in the seasoning powder.
- Drop in the kimchi (with the juices) and sweet potato cubes.
- Cover the pan and simmer for five to seven minutes.
- Stir in the fish cakes and spice paste.
- Simmer for another two to three minutes.
- Taste and add fish sauce, if needed.
- Garnish with scallion slices before serving your fish cakes and kimchi jiggae.