Ebi Furai (Shrimp Fry) Curry
Make the curry roux
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour, all at once, until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook the roux over medium-low heat, with occasionally stirring, until lightly browned.
- Off the heat, stir in the curry powder, chili flakes, soy sauce, oyster sauce, ketchup and honey. Set aside.
Make the curry sauce
- In a wok, heat the cooking oil.
- Soften the onion slices with a little salt and pepper over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Sprinkle in a bit more salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring often, for a minute or two.
- Throw in the carrot and potato cubes, and cook with occasional stirring for a minute.
- Pour in the broth.
- Grate the apple dirctly into the pan and stir.
- Cover the pan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until both the carrot and potato cubes are cooked through.
- Add the roux, a heaping tablespoonful at a time and stirring after each addition. When all of the roux has been added, simmer curry for another 10 minutes.
- Taste the curry sauce and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
Fry the shrimps
- Shell and devein the shrimps (see detailed instructions). Pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place the flour, egg and panko in three separate shallow bowls.
- Beat the egg.
- Holding the shrimp by the tail, dredge each in flour; shake off the excess. Repeat with the rest of the shrimps.
- Dip the floured shrimps one by one in beaten egg.
- Roll the shrimps one by one in panko to coat every inch of the surface.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Cooking in batches of four to six, drop the breaded shrimps in the hot oil and cook until the coating is golden and crisp, about two minutes.
- Scoop out the shrimps and drain on a rack.
Assemble the dish
- Scoop rice into shallow bowls.
- Ladle curry sauce around the rice.
- Arrange fried shrimps on top.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and serve.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.