Crispy Fried Chicken with Furikake
Chicken breast fillets are cut into bite-sized pieces, seasoned, coated in starch, deep fried then tossed with furikake.
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Add the corn starch and toss to coat each piece.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Fry the chicken slices, a few pieces at a time, until golden and crisp.
- Toss the fried chicken fillets with half of the furikake.
- Sprinkle the rest of the furikake over the chicken before serving.
What is furikake?Furikake refers to an array of dry mixed seasonings that are traditionally sprinkled over rice. The mix can contain fish, seaweeds, shisho (perilla leaves), powdered egg granules, sesame seeds, katsuobushi, salmon… Plain rice is beautifully transformed when topped liberally with furikake. And it becomes a complete meal too because the furikake is rich in protein and calcium. But it isn’t just on rice that furikake works wonders. You can sprinkle it on soup or even toss it with pasta and popcorn. And, yes, with fried chicken too.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Looking for Filipino food?Check out CASA Veneracion’s Modern Filipino recipes!