Crispy Cauliflower with Furikake
There are several varieties of furikake. Choose one with no seafood or meat to make this a vegan dish.
- Place the cauliflower florets in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Add the corn starch and toss to coat each piece.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Fry the cauliflower florets, a few pieces at a time, until golden and crisp.
- Toss the fried cauliflower florets with half of the furikake.
- Sprinkle the rest of the furikake over the cauliflower florets before serving.
Not a fan of cauliflower? You may substitute eggplant, green beans or even potatoes. The final texture will, of course, differ. Fried eggplant, for instance, won’t be as crisp because of the sheer amount of moisture in the vegetable, but the cooked dish will be deliriously tasty too. Tofu will work too but it will need more than the usual amount of seasoning so you don’t end up with a bland dish.