“Crab” and Corn Egg Drop Soup
A Chinese style egg drop with shredded kanikama, sweet corn kernels and scallions in chicken broth slightly thickened with starch. It’s “crab” and corn soup for people with crab allergy.
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels (if using canned, drain well)
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions separated into white/light green and dark green portions
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- 4 pieces kanikama (imitation crab sticks)
- 4 eggs beaten
- Bring the broth to a boil in a sauce pan. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the corn and white/light green portion of the scallions. Simmer, covered, for five minutes (a few minutes longer is using fresh raw corn).
- Meanwhile, shred the kanikama into thin strips.
- Disperse the starch in two tablespoons water and pour into the soup. Stir until the broth is clear and slightly thickened. Cover and simmer for another five minutes.
- Stir in the kanikama and dark green portion of the scallion stalks. Allow to boil gently for half a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the beaten eggs in a thin stream over the entire surface of the soup. Count 10 seconds before stirring gently (see tips for making wispy or chunky egg drop soup).
- Taste your "crab" and corn egg drop soup one last time, and add more salt and pepper if needed, before serving.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Looking for Filipino food?Check out CASA Veneracion’s Modern Filipino recipes!