Congee, Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Style
At Crowne Plaza Hong Kong, after drinking from sunset to midnight, I called Room Service for a snack. Congee. It came with Chinese sausage, mushrooms and century egg. Unforgettable. This is my version.
- Slow Cooker
- Rinse the rice several times.
- Place the rice in the slow cooker, pour in the broth and stir. If the broth is unseasoned or under-seasoned, add salt and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW and cook the congee for eight hours. Stir every two hours. Crank up the heat to HIGH and cook for another two hours.
- Heat the sesame seed oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over medium heat with a little salt for about two minutes.
- Add the sausages to the mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.
- Stir the sausage / mushroom mixture, century eggs and scallions into the congee.
- Ladle congee into bowls. Serve hot with soy sauce on the side.