Congee, Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Style
At Crowne Plaza Hong Kong, after drinking from sunset to midnight, I called Room Service for a snack. Congee. It came with Chinese sausage, mushrooms and century egg. Unforgettable. This is my version.
- Slow Cooker
- Rinse the rice several times.
- Place the rice in the slow cooker, pour in the broth and stir. If the broth is unseasoned or under-seasoned, add salt and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW and cook the congee for eight hours. Stir every two hours. Crank up the heat to HIGH and cook for another two hours.
- Heat the sesame seed oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over medium heat with a little salt for about two minutes.
- Add the sausages to the mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.
- Stir the sausage / mushroom mixture, century eggs and scallions into the congee.
- Ladle congee into bowls. Serve hot with soy sauce on the side.
Looking for Filipino food?Visit CASA Veneracion for modern twists on favorite classics!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.