- silicone ring (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (do not press into the measuring cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter plus more for the pan
- ½ cup fully cooked sweet corn kernels (see notes after the recipe) or ¼ cup finely sliced scallions
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (see notes after the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and coconut milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. DO NOT overmix.
- Pour the melted butter and fold in.
- Stir in the corn or scallions.
- With the heat set to medium, preheat a thick-bottomed pan. If using a silicone ring, position at the center of the pan. Melt a pinch of butter at the center of the pan (or silicone ring).
- Pour about ¼ cup pancake batter directly over the melted batter. Cook over medium heat for about 45 seconds then (remove the silicone ring) and flip the pancake. Cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat until all the batter has been cooked.
- Toss the grated coconut, sesame seeds and sugar. Use as topping.