Chinese Sticky Rice Meatballs
- 1 cup sticky rice
For the meatballs
- 300 grams ground pork with at least 20% fat
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- ¼ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ teaspoon grated garlic
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 shiitake caps only, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
Soak the sticky rice
- Place the rice in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Pour in enough water so that there is an inch of water above the surface of the rice.
- Cover the bowl loosely and allow the rice to soak in the fridge for at least eight hours.
Prepare the meatball mixture
- In a bowl, mix together the ground pork, carrot, scallions, shiitake, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mix the soy sauce, rice wine, oyster sauce, sesame seed oil, sugar and cornstarch to make a thin paste.
- Pour the starch mixture over the ground pork mixture. Mix well.
- Cover the bowl and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least four hours (see notes after the recipe).
Make the sticky rice meatballs
- Drain the sticky rice in a colander positioned over a bowl. Leave to drain while you make the meatballs.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon, scoop enough of the ground pork mixture to make two-inch meatballs.
- Roll each meatball in the drained sticky rice, pressing the rice grains onto the entire surface of the balls.
- Line two steamer baskets with non-stick paper (see notes after the recipe).
- Place the rice-coated meatballs in the paper-lined steamer baskets, about an inch apart to allow space for the rice to expand.
- Steam over medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs with chili oil sauce on the side for dipping.