A soup that illustrates what I love about Chinese cooking. It’s not about using the most expensive ingredients but about combining readily available produce in small amounts to cook a superb dish.
In this recipe, Chinese spinach is combined with shrimps and mushrooms. Hence, the logical choice for the broth is seafood-based. You may use small pieces of chicken or pork in place of the shrimps, and choose the appropriate broth.
Chinese Spinach Egg Drop SoupRecipe by
- 1 large bunch Chinese spinach you should have six to eight cups after slicing thinly
- 6 cups fish broth
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- 200 grams shrimps shelled and deveined (see notes after the recipe)
- 6 to 8 black mushrooms (shiitake) caps only, sliced or cut into quarters or eighths
- fish sauce
- 3 large eggs beaten
- Rinse the Chinese spinach well then shake off excess water.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of the Chinese spinach.
- Thinly slice the Chinese spinach stalks and leaves.
- Stir the tapioca starch into the fish broth and heat in a pot. Stir occasionally until just beginning to simmer. By this time, the broth should have thickened and the cloudiness should have disappeared.
- Drop in the thinly sliced Chinese spinach and press lightly into the broth. Allow to boil gently, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Stir in the shrimps and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth, and add fish sauce and pepper, as needed.
- Turn off the heat, drizzle the beaten eggs over the surface and stir (see tips for making egg drop soup).
- Serve the Chinese spinach egg drop soup immediately.