Chinese Spinach Egg Drop Soup
First, know that water spinach and Chinese spinach (amaranth) are two different vegetables. They can be used interchangeably, they taste somewhat similar, but Chinese spinach is so much more flavorful.This is Chinese spinach egg drop soup (polonchay soup in the Philippines) with shrimps and black mushrooms.
- 1 large bunch Chinese spinach you should have six to eight cups after slicing thinly
- 6 cups fish broth
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or corn starch
- 200 grams shrimps shelled and deveined (see notes after the recipe)
- 6 to 8 black mushrooms (shiitake) caps only, sliced or cut into quarters or eighths
- fish sauce
- 3 large eggs beaten
- Rinse the Chinese spinach well then shake off excess water.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of the Chinese spinach.
- Thinly slice the Chinese spinach stalks and leaves.
- Stir the tapioca starch into the fish broth and heat in a pot. Stir occasionally until just beginning to simmer. By this time, the broth should have thickened and the cloudiness should have disappeared.
- Drop in the thinly sliced Chinese spinach and press lightly into the broth. Allow to boil gently, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Stir in the shrimps and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth, and add fish sauce and pepper, as needed.
- Turn off the heat, drizzle the beaten eggs over the surface and stir (see tips for making egg drop soup).
- Serve the Chinese spinach egg drop soup immediately.
The shrimps used in this Chinese spinach egg drop soup were bought shelled and deveined. If using shrimps that have yet to be shelled and deveined, you will need about 400 grams.
Looking for Filipino food?Visit CASA Veneracion for modern twists on favorite classics!
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.