Chinese Spinach Egg Drop Soup
- 1 large bunch Chinese spinach, you should have six to eight cups after slicing thinly
- 6 cups fish broth
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch, or corn starch
- 200 grams shrimps, shelled and deveined (see notes after the recipe)
- 6 to 8 black mushrooms (shiitake), caps only, sliced or cut into quarters or eighths
- fish sauce
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Rinse the Chinese spinach well then shake off excess water.
- Cut off and discard the root ends of the Chinese spinach.
- Thinly slice the Chinese spinach stalks and leaves.
- Stir the tapioca starch into the fish broth and heat in a pot. Stir occasionally until just beginning to simmer. By this time, the broth should have thickened and the cloudiness should have disappeared.
- Drop in the thinly sliced Chinese spinach and press lightly into the broth. Allow to boil gently, stirring often, for about five minutes.
- Stir in the shrimps and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, for another five minutes.
- Taste the broth, and add fish sauce and pepper, as needed.
- Turn off the heat, drizzle the beaten eggs over the surface and stir (see tips for making egg drop soup).
- Serve the Chinese spinach egg drop soup immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.