Chicken Wonton Noodle Soup
- 300 grams minced chicken (see notes after the recipe)
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- ½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 24 wonton skins (we used small, about three inches square)
Make the chicken wonton filling
- In a bowl, mix together the minced chicken, garlic, ginger, carrot and scallions.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, potato starch, sesame seed oil and Shaoxing wine.
- Pour the mixed seasonings over the chicken mixture. Mix well until the coloring is uniform (see notes after the recipe).
Wrap the chicken wontons
- Separate the wonton wrappers.
- Take one wrapper, place on the palm of one hand and drop a teaspoonful of filling at the center.
- Moisten all the edges of the wrapper with water.
- Gather two opposite edges and press them together making sure that the filling stays at the center.
- Bend the folded wonton toward you until the unfilled sides overlap at the bottom.
- Moisten one of the overlapping ends and press the other end over it to seal.
- Repeat until all the wonton skins are filled or until you run out of filling, whichever comes first.
Cook the chicken wontons
- Boil water, at least three inches deep, in a pot or wok.
- When the water is boiling profusely, drop in half of the wontons one by one. The water will stop boiling for a while as the temperature drops after the addition of the wontons.
- Allow the water to come to a boil once more then wait for the wontons to float to the surface. They are done at this point. The cooking takes about four to five minutes.
- Scoop out the wontons with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Repeat the cooking process for the remaining half of the wontons.
Assemble your chicken wonton noodle soup
- Heat your chicken bone broth.
- While the broth heats, divide the noodles into four portions and drop into bowls.
- Arrange the cooked wontons beside the noodles.
- Sprinkle in sliced scallions.
- Pour in hot broth and garnish with fried shallots.