Chicken Chop Suey
- Wipe the chicken thigh fillets with paper towels then cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Crush and peel the garlic.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Cut the asparagus spears into two-inch lengths.
- Peel the carrot and cut into thin slices.
- String the green beans and cut into one-inch lengths.
- Deseed the bell pepper and dice.
- Cut the cabbage into half-inch wide strips (discard the core).
- Peel the quail eggs.
- Cut the shiitake mushrooms into quarters.
- Separate any joined pieces of oyster mushrooms.
- In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Saute the garlic and shallots for half a minute.
- Turn up the heat and spread the chicken in the hot oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry just until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the carrot slices (they take longest to cook so they go in first). Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the bell pepper, asparagus and green beans. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper (see notes after the recipe). Stir fry for one minute.
- Add the cabbage and sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the quail eggs, shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Again, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Stir the sauce to loosen the starch that settled in the bottom then pour into the wok with the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and clear.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.