Chicken Chop Suey
- Wipe the chicken thigh fillets with paper towels then cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Crush and peel the garlic.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Cut the asparagus spears into two-inch lengths.
- Peel the carrot and cut into thin slices.
- String the green beans and cut into one-inch lengths.
- Deseed the bell pepper and dice.
- Cut the cabbage into half-inch wide strips (discard the core).
- Peel the quail eggs.
- Cut the shiitake mushrooms into quarters.
- Separate any joined pieces of oyster mushrooms.
- In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Saute the garlic and shallots for half a minute.
- Turn up the heat and spread the chicken in the hot oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir fry just until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the carrot slices (they take longest to cook so they go in first). Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the bell pepper, asparagus and green beans. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper (see notes after the recipe). Stir fry for one minute.
- Add the cabbage and sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the quail eggs, shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Again, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Stir the sauce to loosen the starch that settled in the bottom then pour into the wok with the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and clear.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.