Chicken and Shrimp Chow Mein
- 250 grams dried egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 200 grams chicken fillets, (thighs were used here), thinly sliced then cut into strips
- 200 grams shelled and deveined shrimps
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, cut into half-inch slices; stems and leaves separated
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame seed oil
- Cook the egg noodles in boiling water until tender but not mushy.
- Drain the noodles and dump in a bowl of iced water to immediately stop the cooking.
- Drain the noodles once more and set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Over high heat, stir fry the chicken fillet slices until no longer pink.
- Add the shrimps to the chicken, and drizzle in the soy sauce and rice wine.
- Stir fry for a minute or until the shrimps are almost cooked through.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, julienned carrot and stems of the Chinese broccoli.
- Sprinkle in two generous pinches of salt and about a quarter teaspoon of pepper.
- Stir fry for another minute.
- Add the leaves of the Chinese broccoli and stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the drained noodles.
- Pour in the oyster sauce and hoisin sauce.
- Continue stir frying until the noodles are heated through and the sauces evenly distributed.
- Off the heat, taste the chicken and shrimp chow mein, and add more salt or pepper, or both, if needed.
- Drizzle in the sesame seed oil and give the chow mein a final toss.
- Serve the chicken and shrimp chow mein immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.