Cook a pack of instant ramen, add mushrooms, pork slices and kimchi. Top with cheese slices and leave to melt. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with scallions and drop an egg yolk in.
Yes, instant ramen. My daughters are fans. And they have taught me that yes, you can upgrade what has to be one of the cheapest and most easily available food items that you can store in the pantry for months. If you don’t eat meat, you can skip it and this noodle soup will still be delicious.
What flavor of instant ramen can you use? Any! What type of cheese is recommended? Any variety that melts well (no hard cheeses like Parmesan, in other words). Even processed cheese is good! We all love cheese and I wish I can say that you can add as much cheese as your heart desires. BUT. Do not be tempted to add too much cheese. After it melts, the cheese will thicken the sauce considerably. Going over the top with cheese will turn the noodle soup into a solid mass.
The cooked pork can be substituted with chicken, beef or even seafood like shrimps or squid. And, of course, while it says “2 slices” in the ingredients list, you can always add more.
Cheese and Kimchi RamenRecipe by
- 1 pack instant ramen any flavor
- 2 slices cheese any variety that melts well (see notes after the recipe)
- ½ cup kimchi with the juice
- 2 slices cooked pork (see notes after the recipe)
- fresh mushrooms shimeiji was used here but oyster mushrooms; enoki or shiitake will be just as good
- finely sliced scallions
- 1 egg yolk
- chili flakes to garnish
- In a small pan, cook the noodles and soup pack in boiling water according to package directions.
- When the noodles are partially done, arrange the mushrooms, pork slices and the kimchi (cut into smaller pieces if large) along the edges of the pan.
- Drizzle in the kimchi juice.
- Continue boiling until the noodles and mushrooms are cooked through, and pork and kimchi are heated through.
- With the heat off, lay the cheese slices on top and cover the pan just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Carefully slide the contents of the pan into a bowl.
- Drop the egg yolk at the center of the bowl.
- Garnish with sliced scallions and chili flakes.
- Serve your cheese and kimchi noodles hot.