- Heat the sesame seed oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Spread the beef slices on the hot oil. Leave for a minute before stirring. Cook the meat until the edges start to brown.
- Pour in the soy sauce, sake and mirin. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the ginger slices then pour in a cup of water (see notes after the recipe).
- Bring the liquid to the boil. Turn the the heat to low. Cover the wok or frying pan and cook the beef until tender and the cooking liquid has turned into a thick paste.
- Serve the beef shigureni over rice. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.