Ten minutes to prep and ten minutes to cook, this beef, broccoli and noodle stir fry is flavored with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, oyster sauce, Chinese black vinegar and Japanese Worcestershire sauce.
Don’t you just love the colors? The right combination of vegetables does that. A benchmark of Asian stir fries, really. And combining broccoli florets with carrot slices and shiitake gives the dish a lovely textural contrast too.
Is it a Chinese or Japanese dish? A little bit of both with a touch of Korean. The noodles are typical Chinese egg noodles. The seasoning includes Japanese Worcestershire sauce and mirin. But the overall flavor is more Korean than Chinese or Japanese because the sauce is a modified version of what went into my Korean ground beef recipe.
So, it’s fusion? Yes! And a glorious fusion dish it is too. Salty, sweet with a bit of tang from the Chinese black vinegar.
Beef, Broccoli and Noodle Stir FryRecipe by
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 400 grams thinly sliced beef cut into two-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½ cup carrot slices
- 1 cup shiitake slices
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 500 to 600 grams fresh egg noodles blanched, drained, refreshed in cold water then drained thoroughly
Make the sauce
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Divide the sauce into two equal portions.
Cook the beef
- In a pan, heat the sesame seed oil then spread the beef in the hot oil. Cook until the underside is browned then stir and cook over high heat until most of the pinkness is gone.
- Pour in one portion of the sauce and sprinkle in a teaspoon of sugar.
- Cook, stirring often, until the meat has soaked up the liquid.
- Set the beef aside and keep warm.
Stir fry the vegetables
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the two tablespoons of cooking oil and spread the broccoli florets, carrot slices and shiitake on the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Stir fry for a minute or two depending on the size of the broccoli florets.
- Scoop out the vegetables and set aside. Keep warm.
Stir fry the noodles
- In the same wok or frying pan where you stir fried the vegetables, heat another two tablespoons of oil.
- Saute the garlic and ginger just until aromatic.
- Add the noodles and toss until every strand is coated with oil.
Finish the beef, broccoli and noodle stir fry
- Pour the remaining sauce over the noodles and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add the stir fried vegetables and mushrooms, and toss well.
- Finally, add the beef to the noodles and vegetables. Continue stir frying just until everything is heated through.
- Taste, adjust the seasonings if needed, and serve immediately.