American Fried Rice (Khao Phad American)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup finely sliced scallions
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 4 cups cooked rice, day-old jasmine rice is recommended
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup, you may use more
- juice of one lime, (see notes after the recipe)
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the shallots, garlic and scallions until aromatic.
- Add the raisins and toss around until heated through.
- Turn up the heat and dump in the rice and stir to break up lumps.
- Season the rice with soy sauce, fish sauce and ketchup. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Drizzle in lime juice (start with the juice from half). Stir well. Taste. Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve the fried rice with fried egg and whatever American food you like. Hotdogs, fried chicken, bacon and SPAM are popular choices.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.